Andy Ruiz Jr. wants to make his series against Anthony Joshua a trilogy.
Eddie Hearn told iFL TV on Monday that Ruiz reached out to him on Instagram about setting up a third fight with Joshua, noting that he “wouldn’t rule out any scenario” for Joshua.
“That’s a fight that I think we’d be interested in. If you’re going to America, Luis Ortiz is another guy you could fight. If you’re doing the U.K., Dillian Whyte, is that the fight to make?” Hearn said in the interview.
Joshua originally seemed to be facing Tyson Fury in August in a heavyweight unification bout before an arbitrator ruled that Fury would need to face Deontay Wilder for a third time before Sept. 15. After the ruling, Fury agreed to a deal with Wilder for a fight set for July 24.
Fury agreeing to fight Joshua left the IBF, IBO, WBA and WBO heavyweight title belt-holder without an opponent for now, though Joshua has been ordered by the WBO to defend his belt against Oleksandr Usyk or risk vacating the belt.
Hearn said in his interview with iFL TV that in “an ideal world,” Joshua will face Usyk next, but noted that he wouldn’t rule out anything for Joshua.
“We probably got 10 days to decide what we’re going to do,” Hearn said.
Ruiz is so far the only boxer to blemish Joshua’s record when, on June 1, 2019, Ruiz defeated Joshua in a technical knockout in seven rounds. Joshua reclaimed his WBA, IBF, IBO and WBO heavyweight titles a few months later when, on Dec. 7, 2019, he defeated Ruiz in a unanimous decision.
Joshua is 24-1 with 22 knockouts in his career, while Ruiz is 34-2 with 22 knockouts.